My ISP advised me to do a factory reset (load factory settings) on my router (FritzBox 7490).
The problem was that after doing this, the admin interface would request a password.
- The documented default “admin” did not work.
- Powering off for 1 minute (advised by the FritzBox UI) did not work - it just prompted for password again.
- Powering off for 5 minutes (advised by ISP) did not work.
What did work:
- Click on “Forgot Password” on the login screen
- Unplug all cables (no DSL, no LAN)
- Power off for 10 minutes
- Power it up with only the power cable in
Now after powering back up, the UI prompted me to set a new password.